This chocolate buttercream frosting is so yummy and easy to make! It’s beginner friendly, anyone can make this.
It’s nice to have a go to recipe for the popular desserts that you know you’re going to be making a lot of and this can be one of them!
Start by getting all of your ingredients together.
You will need…
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar (note: if you are planning on piping the frosting, sift powdered sugar)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3-4 tbs heavy cream or milk
For equipment you will need…
A mixer (either a stand mixer or a hand mixer will work)
Rubber spatula (to scrape the bowl)
Either your stand mixer bowl or a large mixing bowl
To make this chocolate buttercream frosting…
Whip your butter on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until the butter turns white in color.
Next, slowly add in your powdered sugar one scoop at a time.
Once all of the powdered sugar is in the bowl, whip on medium speed for 3 minutes.
Note: If you are using a hand mixer, you may have to add a minute or two to the mixing times.
Add in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt.
Stop and scrap your bowl with a rubber spatula.
Sift cocoa powder into mixing bowl and mix on low speed until combined.
lastly, add in heavy cream or milk accordingly to achieve the consistency you desire.
This is a pretty straight forward recipe that you can use with any of your baking projects!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- stand mixer
- Rubber Spatuala
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-4 tbs milk or cream
- Place butter in stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip on medium speed until the butter is white in color (up to 5 minutes)
- Once butter is whipped turn mixer to low speed and slowly add in confectioners' sugar
- Add in the vanilla extract and salt. Once incorporated stop and scrap bowl
- Turn mixer up to speed 8 and whip for 4 minutes
- Sift cocoa powder on top of frosting and whip for an additional minute
- Add milk or cream to achieve desired consistency of frosting
If you are looking for anymore dessert recipe’s, head over to my recipe page here —> All My Recipes.